Michelle T Crq

| map-marker Tampa, Florida

Worst rental experience.. HANDS DOWN!

Updated by user Jul 22, 2024

Info I failed to mention... I have posted negative reviews on other sites, I have filled a complaint with BBB.

I have reported to the attorney general and to Marco Rubio. I have had code enforcement come out. The sad thing is they do just enough to make it appear they are "addressing the issue" however the companies they utilize don't know what they are doing or they are paid to do as little as possible or both. I've had vendors they've sent out admit this she apologize for it.

Unreal!! I've exhausted every effort to get the right things done without implementing my attorney. I'm not wasting anymore of my time nor losing anymore money especially jobs. Such a joke.

Not sure how these people sleep at night. I'm done creeping thru my house on my tip toes waiting for their pet rats to make entrance. I've made improvements and clean ups to this place that were long overdue.

This outfit is damaging out communities appearances in a deplorable fashion. With many lawsuits already and without question more to come!

Original review Jul 21, 2024
Unknowingly, I moved into an uninhabitable home on 12/29/23. I currently have up to 400 pages of documents and pictures depicting deplorable conditions.

Conditions that should have been resolved/repaired prior to anyone taking residency. Duties are still ongoing. It's completely absurd, unprofessional and frankly becoming inhumane. The list is endless...

Windows replaced, screens replaced (many more than once), water heater replaced twice and new ones repaired multiple times, severe roof leaks (they were very old and have resulted in mold), mold (still ongoing) supposedly tested and just needed cleaning—a cleaning they didn't do. They chose to paint over the area instead, the plumbing was rusted through and leaking (the outcome was me having to wash into a rain barrel and dumping the water down the driveway for the first 3 weeks I was here). The attic was a fire hazard and definitely an inspector's worst nightmare (loads of wires all over the attic and outside the house and on the roof—most were dead but it only takes one live one to cause a tragedy). I currently have another roof leak, mold, and the first two AC units do not work properly, they run all day and the temperature rises well above the set point.

It never shuts off until I turn it off. They've had more than a dozen guys come out here. There are multiple reasons for this horrible AC. One significant problem is that the AC in the master room, which was added on later, is hooked directly to the unit so it siphons all the air.

As a result, I had to vacate the master room and relocate to the other side of the house. So I'm essentially renting and paying for a 3/2 but living in a 2/1. But it doesn't stop there because one of the other bedrooms, which is used by my granddaughter, is about 15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house. This means I'm actually in a 1/1, but I'm paying for 3/2.

Another significant problem is the rodents that are running around in the attic and within the walls, which has been happening since before I moved in. They've had a pest control person come out multiple times over a few months, but the rodents are still present. They haven't caught anything because they're not professional wildlife and rodent controllers, and they're refusing to bring anyone out here, despite me having my own evidence to prove it. I'm organizing another inspection.

I also got a diagnostic on the AC, but they just seem to not want to do the work. They'd rather keep their money than take care of their tenants, I guess because they can. I'm unsure, but they have a policy that someone above 18 has to be at the house while they work on repairs. Think about how many repair orders I've scheduled.

They've lost work, but they don't care. They've damaged items when they've come here. If it was their equipment, they'd get reimbursed ASAP, but I can't get them to reimburse me. I can't even get them to reimburse me for the $75 I overpaid when I first moved in.

This place is awful, every single one of them, anyone who works for them. They're all terrible. They're basically stealing with all their excessive fees on our rent portals. Their water company is charging extra for the water services and I'm not the only one stating that they're adding unnecessary charges.

They're padding the bill. It's insane. I'm living with rodents and it's apparently okay. They seem to let that happen even though I didn't rent a house that came with a rodent problem.

That was not the agreement I was under, and this is Florida. We need AC that works right!
Loss:
Cons:
  • Will strip you of your money your sanity you will lose your faith in mankind you lose your faith in professional companies corporate you will feel very overwhelmed disheartened and broke

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: RUN DO NOT TAKE A CHANCE

Featured
Linda S Hjr

| map-marker Pompano Beach, Florida

Terrible Rental

I have relocated to south FL from Denver, CO. Unfortunately for me, I was not able to see the IH property in person prior to signing the lease for $4,944.95/month.

I was trusting enough to sign the lease based on the online listing pictures. Well, a painful and financially burdening lesson learned there. I am a single mom of a 4 year old daughter and 2 fluff fluffs, a golden-doodle and labradoodle (as hypoallergenic as they come). We are currently displaced as the IH home that I signed a lease for is absolutely filthy and cannot be moved into even though my lease started on June 20th.

I am stuck having to rent an Airbnb until the property is actually in move-in condition. I have 12k wrapped in this property and quite frankly want all of my funds returned. I don't even want to move in at this point. IH offered a compensation of $115 which was insulting.

How did they even come up with that amount? The groceries that I ordered from Walmart to be delivered on Friday to the home went to waste and cost more than that ($193.16 to be exact) as I was unable to put them in the house because of the condition of the home and appliances (see pictures attached). If I did move any of my belongings into the home, how would the home be properly cleaned?

Since I arrived in Florida, this entire process with IH (Cynthia Anglade, Ashley Griffith, Rodner Jean-Baptiste) has been a complete nightmare, and is not how business is done. I have moved my entire life from Colorado, with moving trucks and deadlines, and they have completely deceived me.

The pictures that I was presented do not depict the property's current condition, and their inability to understand the urgency to fix it is alarming.

The house was not cleaned prior to my lease date, Thursday, June 20th. The pictures attached reveal the nastiness of this home. Why was the house not properly inspected after the previous tenant vacated the property? Their security deposit should be responsible for this debacle; however, I am now responsible for advocating for my rights as a tenant and stuck with 2 26 trucks outside the property unable to be unloaded until the home has been thoroughly deep cleaned and proper, basic repairs completed which should have been done well before my lease started!

According to Florida's Statues Landlords obligation to maintain premises 83.51

2 (a) 3 The clean and safe condition of common areas.

IH is in clear violation as this property is not clean and safe.

I have requested blinds and receptacles be replaced (see attached photos) and the exterior of the house, interior of the garage and back patio to be pressure washed which is not an unreasonable request and should have been done for the next tenant as a common practice regardless. The blinds have an enormous amount of filth built up on them and pet hair that will be almost impossible to get cleaned enough to be considered clean and safe as my daughter has allergies. Who knows what kind of pet hair is on the blinds and the condition of the previous tenants pet. Several pavers and batteries litter the yardis that safe?

IH has escalated the work order for maid services which still needs to be approved.

Why is this even a work order to begin with? Why was this not completed prior to my move-in date, June 20th? I was advised that all other repairs need to be requested through maintenance. Again, why do I need to be doing any of this?

Renting a home at 5k a month, one would think the basics were at the very least taken care of but the basics at this home were clearly neglected by the IH property managers, Cynthia Anglade, Ashley Griffith, Rodner Jean-Baptiste. I have asked each one of them several times if the condition of the home would be acceptable to them to move into but they have yet to have the courage, compassion and empathy to answer. Rather the robotic response is, we have acknowledged your concerns. These are not concerns but clear and egregious grievances.

This is beyond me that I am idle because they failed to address the condition of the house prior to my move-in date.

The ripple affect this is causing is grave.

My daughter starts camp tomorrow, but I do not have the proper attire for her as its in the moving trucks I cant unpack; therefore, I must spend even more money that could have been avoided had IH property managers, Cynthia Anglade, Ashley Griffith, Rodner Jean-Baptiste done their job.

I want ALL of my funds returned, compensated for my Airbnb stay, and out of this lease. IH I implore you to start to do right by your tenants.

User's recommendation: Do NOT Rent from Invitation Homes

Guest

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We apologize for any dissatisfaction caused.

To better understand the situation and assist you further, we kindly request that you email a copy of your review and your Invitation Homes address to social@***.com.

Please include "Pissed Consumer" in the subject line and/or email body. We value your feedback and appreciate your cooperation.

Verified Buyer
| map-marker Seattle, Washington

Slum lord

I live next to the Invitation Homes property located at 1106 SW 335th Federal Way, WA 98023. The property is not maintained, and when it was advertised on IH's list of available properties in 2023 and 2024 Invitation Homes used 10-year-old photos and listed amenities that don't exist, like a deck.

The deck was rotten and finally removed 4 years ago (which displaced the rodents living under it and caused a rat problem for the entire neighborhood). The place is a dump!

The neighborhood HOA has repeatedly notified Invitation Homes about the peeling paint, cracked window trim, dead shrubs, mossy driveway and roof, black mildew on the siding and roof, weed control, and the 10 massively overgrown, dangerous evergreens that clog the storm drain and sidewalks several times a year, asking them to please clean the place up. And they won't.

(If one of those evergreens falls over or a branch comes down during a wind storm someone could be killed--they are enormous and top-heavy and pose a risk to other neighborhood residents.)

Attaching photos of the actual condition of the house.

User's recommendation: Don't rent from these slum-lords

Brian V Mhp

| map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

By far the worst leasing company in the US

It is a shame that this platform does not allow consumers to give a business 0 stars. Invitation Homes in Charlotte is the worst leasing experience I have ever encountered.

From walls in the same room having different colors (even on the same walls) to a yard that has not been cared for in a long time to the AC unit they refuse to mount to the pad to the house wide electrical issue that are causing surges. Seems like it is unethical to charge the full rent amount when the tenant cannot use any appliances without the lights going off and shorting out outlets. The smell of smoldering wires is not an emergency by Invitation homes standards. The problem is they lack accountability.

They hire the cheapest contractors possible and fail to thoroughly inspect the shoddy work that was completed. The job of managing properties is the easiest, all you must do is promise to fix something and ignore the tenant after the poor workmanship is completed. They came to touch up my walls and made them look the same just in different places. Yes.

I know it sounds insane but look at the pics. They did not even paint from the baseboard to the ceiling. Not to mention they did not put down drop clothes and damaged a few personal possessions. Please do yourself a favor BEFORE moving into their "As Is" rentals.

Document every aspect of the house with pictures and videos. You will see the pictures I included, they do not care about quality, just making money. The only positive experience I have had was with their call center agents. You can tell they feel bad that a paying customer must call numerous times to get a response.

It will be amusing to see what boiler plate response they attach to my review. If you are ok with subpar conditions and contractors that rush jobs because the company does not care about their work, this is the leasing company is for you. Looking forward to building a website dedicated to this companies horrible customer service. You should really treat your tenants and property better.

If you have a long-term vision, better kept properties and customer service means higher rent. (FYI still no response on the electrical issues 5-6-24)

Loss:
Cons:
  • Poor follow up after a maintenance request
  • No accountability
  • Cheap contractors

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: Stay away!!

InvitationHomes

We're sorry to hear about your experience, and we apologize for any inconvenience. To help us investigate and address your concerns, please send a copy of your review along with your Invitation Homes address to social@***.com.

Please include "Pissed Consumer" in the subject line and/or email body. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work towards improving our services.

Dublin Lhz

Verified Reviewer

They are threatening my home, Bad for communities Bad for neighbors

This company does not take responsibility for the maintenance of the property and puts the neighbors homes at risk. This company Bought The property next-door to me, 3745 Habana Street, which has a dangerous, invasive, species tree growing right on the other side of my fence.

It is fast growing, and has extremely brittle wood, and is recommended by the Florida Department of agriculture to be killed, including the roots to stop rootlet spread. I have already spent thousands of dollars, as have my other neighbors, cutting back this tree. Because of the height and the angle, I cannot cut it in a way that will make my home safe from High wind events because it's too tall but leans toward my house. This tree also has limbs that snap many over my house, and it has already had several limbs come down.

I have sent a certified letter to the address on the tax records and I received no Response. Meanwhile, limbs are snapping, and Duke energy came out and trim the tree only on that side. Still it's hanging over my house on the other side. Then after talking to an account manager on the phone, she told me "the residents have the home, and the residents have to put in a work order If they feel the tree is dangerous" To me, this was pure and utter unaccountability, brush off, complete disregard for neighbors in their own property.

To say that it is up to the tenants to have to make a decision about a tree that they probably really don't care about because it's not hanging over their house is absolutely absurd. Living in Florida we have a extremely high hurricane deductible that I cannot afford, and I also do not have any friends or family that I can live with if this tree comes down on my house and puts *** in my roof. I also do not have the money to pay for hotel rooms while waiting for the insurance company to cut me a check for loss of use. I have my deceased Families belongings in my home that I would rather not be destroyed by rain and winds because of this tree, damaging and penetrating my roof.

I find invitation homes to be completely irresponsible and extremely bad for communities.

Not only are they bad for people who are looking to buy their first home because they buy up all available starter homes, but they're bad for neighbors as well. I feel completely helpless as a single older woman with severe Spine issues and no one to help me and now i'm against these people that are threatening my home that I have worked my whole life for and they won't do anything to help because all they care about is money.

Cons:
  • Threaten neighbors homes

Preferred solution: I will lose my house

Jeyhun G

| map-marker West Palm Beach, Florida

TOTALLY SCAMS!!!

Run away from Invitation Homes! I leased a house from this scammer a couple of months ago. There were multiple issues with it. They said Pro Care would come and fix it. They came but didn't fix all the issues. It's been a couple of weeks and I still have an issue with the pool. There's *** in it. I requested service; they came and just checked it. They said everything was fine. But every week, I have to fill it up. It's not fixed!

The main issue I have right now is with my refrigerator. I was on vacation for a week, came back, and found out the refrigerator was broken. All the food inside was ruined! There's still a bad smell in the house.

I requested a service for that. Finally, after a week, someone showed up and said we need to order a part. They said it would take 2 days. But right now, it's been 15 days and no one has come for the repair! I'm trying to call the maintenance but I'm getting no answers. Every time they put me on hold for 30 to 40 minutes and then forward me to a voice message.

I tried to reach out to the property manager. But again, the manager is too busy to take my calls.

Don't waste your time, money and stress on this 'joke' of a company! Just run away!

map-marker Bellevue, Washington

Maintenance issues

Invitation Homes - Maintenance issues

Once again, problem with this company, I placed the order for the air conditioning unit on /6/6/24, the manager told me that someone will contact me, 3 days later with the weather in 100 and 2 children, no one is contacting me, I called to track the order and the call center told me that they do not have anyone to fix the air conditioning unit in the summer.

Justin P Agi

Lack of Communication with Lease Renewal Cutoff Approaching

Original review May 30, 2024

BLUF: all I want is a phone call from someone at IH with the authority to answer lease-related questions.

Story: I have been an Invitation Homes resident in Marietta, GA since July of 2023. My lease renewal cutoff date is tomorrow (31 May, 2024).

I have some lease renewal questions: I am hesitant to sign on to another year at the reduced monthly rental rate because I may be leaving the area within the year for new employment. I am also hesitant to accept the month-to-month rental rate, which is greatly inflated from the annual lease rate.

An agent (Alia - no idea who this is otherwise) reached out on 3 May via text to help with the lease renewal process. I pitched my question to her, but she was unable to answer it, and promised to transfer me to someone who could help. One month later, no response despite me replying in the text thread several times for assistance.

The Atlanta property manager, Angela Berg, replied to one email offering to "look into" a six-month rental rate.

That was two weeks ago. She has since setup an out-of-office voicemail and email autoreply, probably for vacation. No other responses despite my requests for assistance.

I have called the main Atlanta office's number multiple times, Ms. Berg's line, and the person who she has temporarily left in charge in her voicemail.

No answer from any of those phone numbers.

My last resort today was to submit a general request for contact to the national Invitation Homes website and emailing numerous other parties listed as contacts at the Atlanta office. Fingers crossed.

This is a very similar experience with an earlier corporate property company, American Homes 4 Rent, from whom I rented in Savannah, GA from 2016 to 2018. They operated in a similar manner.

Either rude and standoffish on the phone, or outright unresponsive. I was able to get their business black listed from military servicemembers in the region given apparent willful negligence.

Preferred solution: A phone call from a live human being to answer my very simple questions.

User's recommendation: Proceed with caution before renting or look for smaller property manager operations.

map-marker Charlotte, North Carolina

Low Reveiw

So I have been over 24hrs without ac in my home in the middle of July because of this company. I have a dog and had to put him in boarding (out of pocket btw) because I called yesterday for them to fix my ac and it took them over 24hrs to respond (still not fixed also).

I moved into a rental for the comfort of being able to call a rental company and this company has made me regret everything about it. They all read a script and do not care about your situation. They dispatch your situation to another company and wait for them to answer (which they don't because they pick the most affordable company) so you're at the mercy of them. I asked if I could call my own ac company and they made me wait 24hrs.

I will be moving back to an apartment and not renewing my lease with Invitation Homes because this is the absolute worst situation someone could deal with on their own in the middle of July with a dog. Do yourself a favor and just move into a place with a proper management company.

DC D Smx

| map-marker Fort Worth, Texas

Bad company to lease from

Stay away from Invitation Homes. I'd give them zero stars if I could, especially the Phoenix/Tempe location.

They do not treat their tenants fairly, especially those who have been loyal, good standing residents and have been there for a significant amount of time. They overcharge in rent. My rent increased by over 100% during my stay with them. There have been a number of service requests where they were either slow or took a long time to correct.

I would not recommend them to anyone.

They add a number of fees on top of the rent, which were not included for a number of years when I initially started renting from them. They penny pinch at every turn and have no problem passing the buck to the resident.

InvitationHomes

We apologize for falling short of your expectations, and we'd like to address your concerns. In order to assist you effectively, we kindly request that you email us a copy of your review and your Invitation Homes address to social@***.com including "Pissed Consumer" in the subject line and/or email body. Your feedback is valuable to us, and we appreciate your cooperation.

MICHOUTA C

| map-marker Houston, Texas

The person that is in charge charge us a fee of 1025 dollars for an AC, we just rented, pay our rent on time, they kept putting old equipment and send people that doesn't know how to do their job.

They need to remove the fee because they just sent us a letter stating we have three days to pay the fee or they will evict us. So, why can't they purchase a new AC for the house and hire people who know how to fix things properly?

Instead, they put old equipment in the house. Our lease isn't over yet and they're trying to play games with us. They need to stop; we don't live there for free. We just don't want to pay for something that we didn't cause, which is not our problem.

They want us to pay their expenses.

It's too bad I can't give them a 0-star rating, they don't deserve more than a 0-star rating. I can't attach the letter they sent us.

Cons:
  • Just awful

Preferred solution: They need to stop charging us for things that not damage by us, and they need to remove the fee they charge us, they really think everyone are stupid, please help us, these people needs to be stop with their traits.

User's recommendation: I don't think people should rent from them, I don't like to write review but this time I am all in, people that want to rent from invitation home, when you see the reviews we are not lying they are they worse, so look for different home companies instead of resting from invitation home

Guest

Back to your mother's basement!

Bill R Cjq

| map-marker Tampa, Florida

They are slumlords.

They don't give a damn about their tenants. I have had many issues since day one, but the most constant problem is the air conditioning.

It has broken down literally over a dozen times in the last few years. I have been told by at least 4 AC companies that the unit needs to be replaced. They have them jerry-rig the unit to save money. Word to the wise, if you're considering leasing from Invitation Homes, DON'T.

RUN, RUN FAST, RUN FAR.

THEY ARE BEYOND HORRIBLE. IT'S AMAZING THAT THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS.

Preferred solution: For them to be accountable to there tenants.

User's recommendation: Avoid at any cost.

map-marker Palmetto, Florida

Do not rent from them!

Just awful. Furious receiving a these

Maintenance bills for things I didnt even need done.

Charge you for all maintenance, terrible customer service.

I will never rent from them again. Lots of glitches in system

Real Estate Expert Talks

"I'm a Huge Proponent of Building a Home" Ty Wilde About Real Estate Industry

Sep 15, 2020

A real estate industry expert, Ty Wilde, shares his insights on whether to buy or build a house, what to consider when dealing with real estate agents, home inspections, and what to think of when investing your money.

Read full article
Ty Wilde
Ty Wilde

Worley Lsg

| map-marker Houston, Texas

Rotten carpet nasty customer service

Been dealing with nasty rotten water damaged carpet for a week when called to complain I was ordered to shut up and suck it up

User's recommendation: Live in a tent much better and cheaper

map-marker Miami, Florida

Bad company

***Don't rent from invitation homes***

I am writing to lodge a formal complaint regarding the unacceptable service and numerous issues I have encountered as a tenant.

Unexplained Fees: Since I began renting from Invitation Homes, I have been charged various unexplained fees. This lack of transparency is concerning and has caused significant frustration.

Delayed Water Billing: It took five months before I began receiving water bills, which is both confusing and unacceptable.

Maintenance Requests Ignored: Despite multiple maintenance requests, including more than 15 work orders for a non-functional air conditioning unit, my concerns have been consistently ignored.

This issue has persisted for the last seven months, leaving me in a home that is unbearably hot, especially given the Florida climate. I have also requested insulation in the attic, but this has not been addressed despite multiple inspections.

Repeated Appointment Cancellations: I have experienced repeated cancellations of maintenance appointments, resulting in over 180 hours of wasted time waiting for service that never arrives. This pattern of booking and canceling appointments is highly unprofessional and has caused significant inconvenience.

Lack of Response: Despite numerous attempts to resolve these issues through the proper channels, I have not received any satisfactory resolution or communication from Invitation Homes.

The current situation is untenable. The lack of functioning air conditioning in my home is a severe health risk, and the ongoing negligence from Invitation Homes is unacceptable.

I demand immediate action to resolve these issues.

Specifically, I request:

A detailed explanation and rectification of all unexplained fees charged.

Immediate resolution of the air conditioning issue, including any necessary repairs or installations.

Prompt handling of all future maintenance requests without undue delays or cancellations.

Compensation for the time and inconvenience caused by the repeated failure to address these issues.

I expect to receive a response to this letter within the next 7 days. If these issues are not resolved promptly, I will have no choice but to seek legal advice and explore other avenues to ensure my rights as a tenant are upheld.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

User's recommendation: Run

map-marker Fort Lauderdale, Florida

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE - RUN RUN RUN

INVITATION HOME IS A RIP-OFF COMPANY THEY ARE RUDE AND GET AWAY WITH IT, DO NOT RENT FROM THEM THEY LOOK TO MAKE YOU PAY MORE THAN YOU SHOULD THEIR PROPERTIES ARE A SCAM THEY WANT TO CHARGE YOU EVERYTHING RUN DO YOUR RESEARCH AND YOU WILL SEE THEY DON'T CARE

User's recommendation: Rent from a private owner who cares about their home

Brands Related to Invitation Homes

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article